I’ve been waiting ages to be able to do this interview.
The London Ear on RTÉ 2XM // Show 209 with David Turpin
David Turpin is the screenwriter of The Lodgers, the Irish film which has just become available on Netflix. Click the link to watch on Netflix. I was lucky enough to see the film in the picturehouse in Navan, Co. Meath on a trip back home in March and I’m delighted that everyone else can now have this opportunity.
The Lodgers was directed by Brian O’Malley and is a Gothic mystery starring the excellent Charlotte Vega with Bill Milner, Eugene Simon, Deirdre O’Kane, Moe Dunford, and David Bradley. The backdrop for the film is Ireland’s most haunted house, the stunning Loftus Hall in County Wexford. It was premiered at the Toronto Film Festival.
David Turpin is an extremely talented guy, he’s probably one of the most modest too and a genuine gentleman. It’s always a pleasure to chat to him.
David is also a fantastic musician and has a new album on the horizon. On the show, I played David’s first new music in five years, ‘Lucifer’, which features the vocals of Martin McCann of Sack and elevens.
A little snippet of trivia for you. David was the first person who I told I was thinking of calling the radio show ‘The London Ear’ when I moved to London. He thought it was great and Hey Presto!
Playlist for The London Ear // Show 209 August 24th 2018
Here’s David’s choice of music for this week’s episode of The London Ear.
1. Cat’s Eyes: ‘The Duke of Burgundy’ from The Duke of Burgundy
2. The Motels: ‘Total Control’ from Something Wild
3. Eddy Arnold: ‘Cattle Call’ from My Own Private Idaho
4. Catherine Deneuve, Benjamin Biolay: ‘C’est Beau la Vie’ from Potiche
5. Cocteau Twins, Harold Budd: ‘Sea, Swallow Me’ from White Bird in a Blizzard
6. Annie Lennox: ‘Love Song for a Vampire’ from Dracula
7. The Alan Parsons Project: ‘Time’ from A Fantastic Woman
8. The Late David Turpin Featuring Martin McCann: Lucifer (I wanted to play this :))
Listen On Demand to The London Ear
Thanks for listening, The London Ear broadcast on DAB radio, Saorview and outside Ireland you can listen online.You can listen to the show again on the RTE player. The show is broadcast every Saturday at 1300.
Photo of David by Ruth Medjber
Watch The Lodgers trailer