The London Ear on RTÉ 2XM // Show 198 with Toby Bourke
I remember going into The Record Sleeve in Navan, Co. Meath and asking them to order me ‘Waltz Away Dreaming’ by Toby Bourke, which featured George Michael. It took a few tries before they got it but the gorgeous burnt orange slipcase and artwork of Flaming June by Sir Frederic Leighton was well worth the wait. Plus, the music was great. Little did I think that years later, I would have the opportunity to chat to Toby Bourke on my radio show. That’s what I did on this week’s episode of The London Ear.
Dublin born Toby has just re-released his album ‘Blood, Sweat and Tears’ which was recorded live at The Swan at Stockwell. The title track is a London Irish immigrant song and still rings true. We also spoke about the accident which almost ended Toby’s musical endeavours.
I was delighted to be able to chat to Toby, to find out more about him and his music and life. Collaborating with George Michael, would have been an immense occasion for any artist but it’s not the main thing to define a person. I’m glad that I, for one, have a more rounded knowledge of Toby and his work.
The London Ear on RTÉ 2XM // Show 198 June 9 2018 // Playlist
Here’s this week’s playlist:
1. Dreaming of Jupiter: Right Kind of Love
2. whenyoung: Heaven on Earth
3. Interview with Toby Bourke Part 1
4. Toby Bourke:Love in not faith
5. Interview with Toby Bourke Part 2
6. Toby Bourke feat. George Michael: Waltz Away Dreaming
7. Interview with Toby Bourke Part 3
8. Toby Bourke: Blood Sweat and Tears
9. Saint Sister: Twin Peaks
10. Gallants: In Vain
11. The 1975: Give Yourself a Try
12. Childish Gamibino: This is America